The first time playing Hydro Strike caused our entire family to laugh so hard we could barely breath. For a solid hour, we each took turns challenging each other with breaks only to catch our breath. The greatest moment was watching the pure shock (then laughter!) on our toddler’s face after getting sprayed the first time. Maybe she didn’t quite connect what would happen to her after watching her siblings play? Who knows, but it made for a hilarious gaming moment. =-)
It’s super simple! Hit the buttons on the sides of the board (think of a pinball machine) to flip the paddles. Knock the ball into your opponent’s goal to give her a wet surprise!
I really enjoy games that take no time to set up and no time to teach. Hydro Strike is just that. Have a few minutes with your kids before dinner? Pull it out for some quick laughs. Kids complaining about nothing to do? Have them challenge each other in a match to five points.
I come from a very competitive family. It didn’t matter if it was a
race to finish our french fries, a 4-hour heated game of Risk, or a squaring off of wits; we competed in pretty much everything. This game is perfect for those types of families and friends. If you love to compete in the small stuff, the big stuff, and anywhere in between, you’ll enjoy this quick game with a splashy surprise.
Get your kids to invite their friends or cousins to play a game with them…without telling the innocent victim what will happen! This makes for some hilarious gasps and shrieks that keep the fun and excitement factors high.
I often get worried when water is introduced to games or toys. Is it going to leak? Is it going to stay moist and start to mold with time? Hydro Strike is built with convenience in mind. Just drain the tiny water pocket by tipping it over, let it sit out to dry (overnight is preferred), and pack it away.
Tips & Tricks
- Be sure to strike the ball hard enough to trigger the spray. You don’t get a point unless your opponent gets wet!
- I found that the easiest way to fill the small water reservoir is with a straw. Just dip the end into a cup of water, hold your finger over the top, and let go over the reservoir.
Scoring & Wrap-up
- Easy set up, easy learning, and easy gameplay
- Hysterical surprise factor when sprayed
- Compact design makes for easy storage and transportation
- Fast-paced gameplay makes for exciting competition
- Sleek look and feel appeals to kids
- While fun and excitement is sky high the first few times playing, replay value does begin to decline. The remedy? See the third Quick Thought above about inviting unsuspecting victims to play a match with you. =-)
- The ball can sometimes get stuck at the base of the paddles. The remedy? Just flick it away.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive gift for a family with young kids, an uber-competitive friend, or a playful child who likes to play tricks on people, Hydro Strike would be a great choice. It’s quick, easy to learn, and never fails to induce fits of laughter!
Disclaimer: I received this game for free in exchange for my review, but believe me, I post authentic reviews every time and will be brazenly blunt if needs be.